Creative of the Week: Suzziah
Suzziah (@suzziahmusic) is a 20 year old pop singer, songwriter, performing and recording artist based in Nairobi.
1. Did you always know you wanted to be a musician? How did you get into music?
Yes, I did. Since I was 8 years old, actually. I was always the one entertaining people during family gatherings so I definitely knew I’d be an entertainer.
2. What is your creative process like?
Most of the time it’s random. I get ideas at very random times and I record or write on my phone before they disappear from my head because when they do, they never come back! I also just listen to a lot of music and musical arrangements.
3. How much do your life experiences influence your work?
I rarely write about my life experiences. It’s mostly my friend’s experiences or my family or what I’m seeing around me at that time.
4. How would you describe your music?
My music is fun, eclectic, emotional, rebellious and legendary.
5. Who are your favourite musicians and why?
Lauryn Hill, Janelle Monae, Erykah Badu, Beyonce, Rihanna. I love all these ladies for so many reasons but mostly because of what they all stand for and for what they represent as women in music and in the world as a whole.
6. What are your thoughts on music in Kenya, what challenges have you faced as a musician and how do you think we can improve on the craft?
Music in Kenya is still growing, we have a long way to go. I think Kenyans should just support musicians the way they would support politicians and athletes. A lot can change but the first and most important thing should be our mentality towards the arts.
7. You’ve had a great year – being crowned the winner of The Search and having a hit with your Le Band collaboration ‘Number 1’. What has the experience of being a fast rising star been like?
Well it’s been a blessing, a huge blessing. I didn’t think this song would be the one to put me out there but I thank God. I have no complaints so far.
8. What work/project are you most proud of?
I am most proud of my latest project, ‘Piga Mdomo’ because everything you hear and see in that song and video was done by me. It’s a song that stands for women empowerment and self-love and I think it’s the song everyone should listen to when they want to let go of any bottled up feelings.
9. What advice would you give an aspiring musician that you wish you had gotten when you were starting out?
I would tell them to learn everything about the music business and industry and to have realistic expectations.
10. When can fans expect a single or album? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
My fans can expect a number of projects throughout the year and for as long as I’m alive. In 5 years, I see myself taking over East Africa and Africa and hopefully winning big awards.
11. If you could collaborate with any musician in the world, who would you choose and why?
That’s a tough question. There are so many. I would like to do something with DJ Khaled and Kanye West; that would be apocalyptic!
Check out Suzziah’s work and profile.
Facebook: Suzziah Music
YouTube: Suzziahhttp://www.mwendengao.com/2017/06/05/creative-week-suzziah/Creative of the WeekKenya,Le Band,Number 1,Suzziah,The Search